Job title: Volunteer: Environmental + Travel Journalism Placement in South Africa
Company: Global Nomadic
Cost: $2,750 USD per month
Fee Includes: all food, accommodation, pre-departure + in-country support,
orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, airport pickup, travel insurance, personal spending,
visas and vaccinations
Please note: This opportunity is designed to give you the contacts and
experience to help further your career. You are not replacing any member of
staff, but helping alongside them, whilst learning new skills.
- Gain hands-on experience working with an environmental and media company
in South Africa
- Ideal for interns with an interest in developing their travel writing and
- Keywords: environmental journalism, travel writing, interview techniques,
The project you will be working with is an environmental and media company who
focus on bringing attention to environmental issues specific to Africa, always
looking for unique and authentic perspectives in their work. They work with
many different clients, ranging from broadcasters, corporations, non-
governmental organizations, print media and online news outlets. Their work is
not restricted to land-based work as part of their program deal with underwater
work too. One of the owners is a shark biologist and the other an underwater
photographer and so if your interest lies beneath the waves , theres room for
you here too.
On this placement, you will learn how to research and produce written content,
and how to then establish a successful career in the fields of environmental
journalism and travel writing. To be a successful environmental journalist you
must have an understanding of current environmental concerns; be up to date
with environmental policy decisions and organisations; understand scientific
studies; have knowledge of historical environmental events, and above all else,
possess an enquiring and curious mind. To make it in travel writing you must
know how to market yourself properly and how to move beyond your location; to
create compelling stories from your travels. Travel writing is a hugely
competitive field and it is hard to break into this market.
If you are looking to develop your career in travel journalism and gain
invaluable new skills and contacts to help you further your journey in this
field, then we can help. Learn how to become a successful and popular writer,
enabling you to pursue an incredible career involving travel and adventure.
Youll have the career that everyone else dreams of!
Your placement is split into separate sections which are then split into
different weeks. You can find details of what you be doing each week below;
- Orientation to Mossel Bay and the program
- Intro to journalism and journalistic writing styles
- Narrative writing workshop and assessment
- Guided edits and personalised learning system creation
- Intro to ethics, standards and practices
- This week involves an expedition to the archaeologically significant
Point area of Mossel Bay- called the origins of humankind
- Tutorial: Rewriting and Editing
- Guided and self-guided edits of previous submissions
- Tutorial: Interviewing techniques what are they?
- Research conduct research on two individuals and prep for mock interview.
- Practical Writing and submission of Interview 1 + 2
- Tutorial: Travel Writing
- Research conduct research on specific upcoming expeditions
- Expeditions- This week involves a number of different expeditions and a
lot of travel writing and blogging
- Practical Writing, submission and editing of articles 1 7
- Tutorial: Environmental Journalism
- Research and prep for final piece
- Self led interviews and source finding
- Practical Writing, submission and editing of EVJ piece
The garden route region of South Africa is widely renowned for its diversity of
reserves, sanctuaries tourism attractions and research institutes. Expeditions
will travel to different venues to allow you to visit the organisations upon
which your stories are based.
- Plettenberg Bay,
- Mossel Bay,
- Port Elizabeth,
The program runs on weekdays only, during the weekends you will be able to take
part in activities +amp; tours or simply relax!
Please note: all information above is subject to change. Please check the most
up to date information on the Global Nomadic website when applying.
Expected salary: $2750 per month
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 07:57:47 GMT